Cristiano Ronaldo Planning Real Madrid Contract Talks
Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed he will open contracts talks with Real Madrid upon his return to the Spanish capital, and that he will miss the UEFA Super Cup game against Sevilla.
Ronaldo, 31, currently has a contract until 2018 but has previously urged Real to offer him an extension, rejecting reported interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City and insisting he wants to end his career with Los Blancos.
Speaking to AS, Ronaldo said: “I spoke to the president [Florentino Perez] on the phone and when I get back to Madrid, we’ll talk. Obviously it’s something I want.”
The Portugal international also confirmed the knee injury that forced him out of the Euro 2016 final against France will see him miss the UEFA Super Cup clash with Europa League winners Sevilla on Aug. 9.
He said: “I’m completely ruled out of the Super Cup on the 9th because I return to work [with Real] on the 10th.”
Ronaldo is favourite to win the Ballon d’Or for a fourth time after leading Real to the Champions League and Portugal to the European Championship. And he is confident about the prospect of success.
“It’s out of my hands,” he said. “But I’ll admit that I’m in a good position given that I won the Champions League and the European Championships.”