Roberto “Hands of Stone” Duran, six-time boxing world champion and Panamanian hero, was hospitalized on Thursday with the novel coronavirus, his children said.
“Test results have just arrived for my dad, and they confirm he is positive for Covid-19,” the legendary fighter’s son Robin Duran said on Instagram.
“Thank God, for now, he doesn’t have symptoms beyond a cold. He is not in intensive care nor on a respirator, just under observation,” he added.
Robin Duran had posted hours before that the 69-year-old had been hospitalized as a precaution for a “respiratory virus,” which turned out to be Covid-19.
“We just spoke to the doctor who told us that his lungs are fine and there are no indications of severe (illness),” Robin Duran said.
“We continue to have faith that everything will be ok.”
Duran boxed 119 fights between the ages of 16 and 50 – with 103 wins and 16 losses. He was knocked out four times, but did the same to his opponents 70 times, earning him the “Hands of Stone” nickname.
He is a national hero in Panama as one of the country’s most famous athletes.